Dad and I didn't have a perfect marriage, but we did have a wonderful marriage.
Dad thought about the future and worked hard to provide the best for us.
Dad loved the Lord and spent a lot of thime pondering God's word and praying.
Dad and I joined in prayer together and knew the presence and power of the Lord as we were
raising our teenagers. (We prayed for you from the start, but the teen years brought us into a
closer bond in prayer.)
Dad's love languages were predominately "spending time with..." and "acts of service". My top
2 were the same, so it was very easy to love and serve each other.
Dad's sense of humor centered around well-crafted language--a cut or two above a pun (my
style) and sometimes a tad sharp.
Dad's love for nature inspired his knowledge of everything he saw or liked to read.
Dad read the dictionary, encyclopedia and history books as he was growing up. He often used
the term "miss-spent childhood" but in that respect, I don't think the term could have ever
have been applied to him.
Some people loved baseball, basketball, football, golf, etc. He did not!
Some people loved entertainers and entertainment. He did not!
Dad loved to play the piano, guitar and/or harmonica for his own "amazement and
amuzement".
Dad's love for learning was contagious. It was also exasperating if I wanted his attention
while he was reading.
Dad was happiest starting a work project on Saturday morning. He'd emerge from the
basement with tools and materials. He would be whistling with the highest decibels possible.
For a long time, he would whistle "Christ Recieveth Sinful Men".
Beside camping as a family and seeing many places, Dad enjoyed his campouts with you guys
and the ethinic taste adventures at various restaurants with you, Valerie.
Dad liked machinery and often commented that he was most fascinated with the simplest
way of accomplishing things.
Dad always wanted to build a house, but remodeled the houses in Ottumwa and Lincoln
instead.
Dad loved to travel. Remember the South Dakota coming back from the Black Hills
in 100 degree weather and no air conditioning. We stopped at the badlands for a time to
"rock hunt" and he appeased me by letting us camp at the KOA (our first) so that I could go
swimming. You wouldn't believe how many people were in that pool and how murky it was!
Dad loved finding money. He found some pennies in the shallow end of a pool at a motel where
we were staying at in FL for our 25th Anniversary. He figured out how to get them up with his
toes without getting his face wet.
Dad loved to take me on an overnight on Fri. and Sat. for get-aways. Those were often
accompanied by surprises. I loved doing that with him.
When he got his end-of -the -year bonus at Hormel, he always gave me half because he said I
deserved it.
Dad loved flowers, but really didn't like to have them cut and brought into the house. One of
his last summers when he had a bit of sight, he laid down on the sidewalk in front of the
daffodills to look at them closely and also absorb the warm sunshine. It was typical of him to
lie down just anywhere.
Dad's favorite culinary skill--baking bread.
Dad cared little about shopping for clothes and even less about "match" or "appropriateness".
It was just not his thing.
He was always liked his mustache and was happy that after he got out of the business, he could
have one.
Dad always dreamed of his midlife crisis--wanted to save it for something good, special, fun.
Life brought it to him in a serious way.
Dad knew he had diabetes upon returning from a business trip when he was 34 years old.
Seeing Dad go little by little was heartbreaking to me. He dealt with his losses couragiously.
He said "The Lord giveeth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord1"
He lived that too.
Walking with my life-long lover and husband as he went through so many humiliating
procedures and tests, without a word of complaint, was a small glimpse of the Lord Jesu
Whom Dad loved and served.
Seeing Dad eat Sun. breakfast, go back to bed and then "want to" get up and get dressed for
the remembrance meeting, every week--even the last Sun. before the Lord took him home,
was inspiring.
I always sent him off to dialysis and was waiting at the door for his return. I watched as
they'd wheel him up the driveway. He always looked to the sky, though he could see next to
nothing, and I knew that one day he would "wing his flight to realms of day".
On April 6, 2008, obviously awake and seeing something or someone above him, at 8:05 he
broke into the most beautiful smile and then turned and shared it with me. In his illness,
his sight was the first thing he lost. In "death", I believe it was the first thing he got back.
To see Jesus!
VALENTINE THOUGHTS FOR ME
I feel exceedingly loved.
First, by the Lord Jesus Christ, Himself
By Dad, who never once spoke a harsh word to me
who delighted in surprising me
who supported me in teaching children
who loved each and everyone of you, your spouses and his 12 grandchildren--immensely
who shared the scriptures with me and nurtured me.
who knew me and had insight on how to help me best
who left tons of rocks in our house--for who?
I miss his physical tenderness and can almost feel the weak back scratch he wanted to, and did give me early last year. So precious I'll never forget it.
I miss his prayers for and with me.
I miss his humor.
I miss his music.
I miss Dad--my honey.
Friday, February 13, 2009
VALENTINE THOUGHTS OF DAD
Posted by
Pat
at
11:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Mom. That is so precious. I can see why you were crying when we chatted online earlier- I'm crying too! What a wonderful guy.
Thank You, Lord, for the 28 years you gave me with him. :)
I think the one that surprised me the most was his sharing his Hormel bonus with you! That was so sweet!!!!
Yes. One year I bought my hope chest with my share of the bunus. I never used it for traditional stuff--mostly fabric and now, pictures and albums. I have always liked it.
Matt said...
I enjoyed your memories of Dad, Mom. Lately I've been trying to think of some of dad's favorite sayings:
"It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick"
"Well..."
"Don't panic about it"
"Fair to middlin'"
"Lord willing..."
"I reckon"
"Well, I doggie's lum.." (Not sure of the origin, spelling, or meaning of this phrase)
Other quotes and place-references of significance:
- Left-gulch, Montana (fictional)
- Terlingua, Texas
- Possum Grape, Arkansas
- Fufu Rongo (fictional)
"Well, hey, these things snap right off..." (a quote from Far Side)
Ok... I'm sure I'll think of more later
Those are great thoughts, Mom! We think of Dad all the time and share memories we have of him with the kids. Sometimes Dave will come out the something that I never knew or would have imagined. : ) The Lord gave Dad 59 years. And those years were filled with things that he enjoyed and a very loving, diligent, and wise wife. Many people have lots of years of meanness and misery. Yes, we've learned a lot of Dad's life, illness, and passing. Just like a good Dad to leave such an inheritance with his wife and children.
Well, doggie's lum. I meant "learned a lot FROM Dad's life, etc." Yeah, I was shocked about the bonus too. My fave part, though, was about the rocks all now in the house. hee hee
Matt's list of Dad's quotes:
The phrase was "by doggies, Lum" In the 70's there was a rerun of radio theatre from maybe the 30's or 40's. The name of the show was "Lum and Abner". It was very funny, but I couldn't tell you any particular story. Abner, when being surprised, impressed or just in agreement, would have said "by doggies (pronounced like doughgies) Lum. That was the sense in which Dad would use it.
Another phrase he'd use, and I think it was Dutched up English: ie. "I'll get it under out of there." We would say "get it out from under."
Frequently, I'll think of a few of his Dutch words.
You likely remember the story about his folks, who would talk Dutch when they wanted a private conversation, were entertaining some missionaries from South Africa. The MK's were "a little bratty" so Dad's folks were commenting on the bahavior of the children in Dutch. The couple knew Africance (sp?) They knew exactly what his folks were saying. I can't tell you the end of the story other than his Mom and Dad were very embarrassed!
I googled Lum and Abner. I found an entry about them on wikipedia and there is a link to a site where you can watch Lum and Abner films.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lum_and_Abner
I watched "Dreaming Out Loud" just for fun. "By doogies..."
Post a Comment