CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Two's are Approaching

I can tell Lael is getting close to two. I feel like there should be a background of forboding music as you read that... "Lael is getting close to two..." dum dum dummmmmmmm!!!

She is starting to be harder to deal with. She has always been so compliant that we are going through a bit of shock. She doesn't respond as readily to instruction and correction as she did before. I'm sure to all of you who've been there this must seem laughable, but it isn't funny for us!!! We are in desperate need of wisdom from the Lord!

I'd love tips on the following situation:

Lael throws her plate and food on the floor at nearly every meal. We've said "NO" over and over. We've explained to her that it makes a mess and wastes food. We've spanked her. And she still does it. The only difference is that she says, "No, no, no, no, noooooo" and shakes her head solemnly while she does it. Occasionally she'll even spank herself on her hand and say "NO".

Help?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems sweet and fuuny when other kids do it. It is hard, Val. There are no easy answers! You have to do the work and trust God for the return. He gives it in His timing...and it's a process you'll be doing until Lael gets married! Last Sunday Ben was naughty that I got called out of church and he had to be taken out of class! I was so angry, embarassed, angry, and I felt like a failure. But these are the things we have to tell ourselves: the child is sinning against God, this proves to the child that they are a sinner and they need help because sinners deserve God's wrath, and training the child to obey is one of the most loving things we can do as that will help them to "live long and all may go well with you." Another good thing to remember is that "without love", none of our work will be worth anything! (I Cor. 13) One last thing that someone told me is "your children aren't interrupting your day, they ARE your day." Trust me, I *understand* the desperation! :)

Anonymous said...

If Lael throws her food on the floor in the evening, you could take her down from the table and tell her that her supper is over, and put her in her bed. She can do without food until breakfast. I have heard that this is a very effective way of dealing with food issues. I have never done it, but it seems it might not happen more than a couple of times. Passing on something I've heard. Love, Mom

Dennis and Valerie said...

Thanks for the encouragement and tips, both of you. I will give the "immediately to bed" thing a try. Some of the trouble may also come from allowing her to spend too much time dilly-dallying over her plate.